• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Do you vocalize when you gargle?

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
This is something I hadn't ever thought about, until Mrs. MDAO pointed it out to me this morning -- I make a noise with my voice whenever I gargle, and she doesn't. My immediate thought was yeah of course I do, that's what cleans my larynx out. But then I was like no, I've seen a larynx cut open, and that's just not how the anatomy works.

What DOES vocalizing do for the efficacy of gargling? I somehow feel like it does a better job cleaning my throat out when I do it.

Haha great thread MDAO! :)

You know what?? I vocalise sometimes, and other times I do not.

Most of the time when I gargle after I brush my teeth, I vocalise.

If my partner is already/still asleep, I do not vocalise, in courtesy.

If I gargle in the shower, I do not vocalise.

I have no idea why I change! :D

As for the reason, you're right MDAO, there's no way it can "clean the larynx out" so to speak. But I dunno, it just feels better/more effective to vocalise!

I never do. Weirdo! :D

However, my singing voice is a good indication for me if my throat is clear or not. If I can hit the high notes very crisply, it means it's clear.. if not, that old singer companion-- ginger tea!

I never do. Weirdo! :D

However, my singing voice is a good indication for me if my throat is clear or not. If I can hit the high notes very crisply, it means it's clear.. if not, that old singer companion-- ginger tea!

This is intriguing, I'm a singer and I haven't heard of using ginger tea!
So you'd recommend it?

Is it weird that it has never occured to me to gargle at any time during my life?

This is intriguing, I'm a singer and I haven't heard of using ginger tea!
So you'd recommend it?

For sure! Try sipping hot ginger tea throughout the day, it does wonders for vocal clarity.

:)

You're a singer? Never knew!

Oh goodness me! I am definitely going to try that!! Thanks hun <3
Anything that enhances vocal clarity is good :D

And no caff, I don't think that's weird, as such. Perhaps you should try it though? I love to gargle, especially in the morning, it clears out all the bacteria from the back of your mouth.

The vibration induced from vocalizing probably helps loosen anything in the throat which further aids the gargling process.